Making a Turkey Salsa Hash Recipe is a great way to use up leftovers and transform them into a delicious meal! This zesty, savory, and comforting hash brings together diced turkey, salsa, veggies, beans, and spices. Read on for an easy recipe along with tips and substitutions for making a tasty turkey salsa hash.
A turkey salsa hash recipe merges the flavors of turkey, salsa, and a vegetable hash. This one-skillet meal comes together in under 30 minutes. It’s a simple yet exciting dish with Southwestern flair.
Diced turkey provides lean protein while the beans add fiber and plant-based protein. Salsa provides a zesty, tomatoey base along with spices like cumin, chili powder, garlic, and onions. Hash browns or diced potatoes add comforting carbs and vegetables like bell peppers and spinach provide further nutrition.
With its mix of textures and flavors, turkey salsa hash makes a satisfying any-time meal. Keep reading for the full recipe, tips, add-ins, and substitutions to make this new favorite!
Why Make Turkey Salsa Hash?
There are many great reasons to give this creative turkey salsa hash recipe a try:
- It’s fast – under 30 minutes from start to finish
- Delicious flavor – bright, savory Southwestern taste
- Nutritious – includes lean protein, veggies, fiber
- Comforting – hash browns provide a familiar base
- Versatile – works for any meal and easily customized
- Budget-friendly – uses pantry staples and leftovers
This zesty hash truly has broad appeal. Kids will love the fun flavors while adults appreciate the ease of preparation. Read on for the simple steps.
Turkey Salsa Hash Ingredients
The beauty of this turkey salsa hash recipe lies in its simplicity. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Diced or shredded turkey – use leftovers or rotisserie
- Salsa – your favorite variety, like pico de gallo
- Hash browns or diced potatoes
- Black beans or pinto beans, drained
Aromatics & Seasonings
- Onion and garlic
- Cumin and chili powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Oil or butter for cooking
Custom Add-Ins (Optional)
- Bell peppers
- Corn kernels
- Spinach or kale
- Shredded cheese (cheddar, Mexican blend)
- Cilantro, avocado, sour cream for serving
That’s all you need for a basic and delicious turkey salsa hash recipe. Now let’s get cooking!
How to Make Turkey Salsa Hash
Cooking this zesty hash is simple. Just sauté the aromatics, add the main ingredients, and let the flavors meld.
Follow these easy steps:
- Sauté onion and garlic: Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add diced onion and garlic and sauté for 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
- Add turkey: Next add diced turkey and continue cooking 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Include hash browns and beans: Add prepared hash browns and black beans. Let cook untouched 4-5 minutes to brown hash browns.
- Pour in salsa: Add your favorite salsa and stir to incorporate.
- Season to taste: Add seasonings like chili powder and cumin. Stir and continue sautéing 5 minutes.
- Mix in veggies: Finally, add any chopped veggies like peppers or spinach in the last 2 minutes just to soften.
That’s it! For added garnish, top with shredded cheese, cilantro or green onion. Enjoy your zesty one-skillet turkey salsa hash recipe.
- Use leftover diced turkey or shred rotisserie turkey
- Cook hash browns first for maximum browning
- Add veggies at the end to avoid overcooking
- Amp up spice with jalapeños or hot sauce
- Garnish with avocado, sour cream for cool contrast
This easy turkey salsa hash recipe comes together in just 30 minutes. Now let’s look at some tasty add-ins.
Ingredients & Substitutions
One of the great aspects of turkey salsa hash is how customizable it is. Get creative with add-ins! Here are some tasty options:
- Bell peppers – red, green, yellow
- Corn – for sweetness
- Onions or shallots – for aromatics
- Spinach or kale – for greens
- Zucchini or squash – for low-carb
Protein & Bean Varieties
- Black beans – easy staple
- Pinto or kidney beans
- Chickpeas – for meatless
- Lentils – high protein
- Eggs – scramble into hash
- Sausage – turkey or veggie
Cheese & Dairy
- Cheddar or Mexican blend
- Cotija or queso fresco
- Sour cream or plain yogurt
- Avocado – for creaminess
Seasonings & Sauces
- Cumin and chili powder
- Taco seasoning or fajita mix
- Hot sauce or sliced jalapeños
- Cilantro, green onion for garnish
Feel free to customize this turkey salsa hash recipe to your tastes or what you have on hand. Almost any combo works deliciously!
This zesty hash makes a well-rounded meal any time of day. Here are serving ideas:
Wake up to a hearty turkey salsa hash breakfast. Top with a fried egg and avocado or Greek yogurt. Serve with fruit and coffee for a protein-packed start to the day.
For an easy weeknight dinner, serve this hash with warmed tortillas for DIY tacos. Add rice and beans on the side. The lively flavors will satisfy after a long day.
Meal Prep Lunch
Make a batch of this turkey salsa hash recipe on the weekend to portion out for easy lunches. Stuff into lettuce wraps, hollowed peppers or tortillas with shredded lettuce.
For parties or game day, bake this flavorful hash in a casserole dish. Top with melted cheese and serve with chips or crackers for a crowd-pleasing nacho-style appetizer.
This versatile turkey salsa hash works for any meal or occasion! Now for some helpful FAQs.
Frequently Asked Questions
Get answers to common questions about making turkey salsa hash:
Is Turkey Salsa Hash Spicy?
The level of spice comes down to your choice of salsa and additions. For mild hash, use a medium or mild salsa. For extra heat, opt for hot salsa, sliced jalapeños, or hot sauce. Adjust to your personal tolerance!
Can I Make This Recipe Vegetarian?
Absolutely! Omit the turkey and double up on plant-based proteins like black or pinto beans, chickpeas or lentils. Follow the same method sautéing aromatics then adding salsa and vegetables.
What Sides Go Well with Turkey Salsa Hash?
Some tasty side options include: rice, beans, roasted potatoes, tortillas or taco shells, eggs, guacamole, Greek yogurt, salad, fresh fruit like mango, or cornbread muffins.
How Long Does Leftover Hash Last?
Properly stored in an airtight container, leftover turkey salsa hash keeps 3-4 days in the fridge. Reheat gently before serving. The flavors meld even more overnight for possibly the best leftovers ever!
Make This Crave-Worthy Turkey Salsa Hash
Bringing together the bright, bold flavors of salsa with savory turkey and potatoes, this turkey salsa hash recipe is a new family favorite. Quickly sautéed with bean protein and fresh veggies, it’s nutritious comfort food at its best. Top with shredded cheese, avocado, cilantro or a fried egg for extra flavor and texture. Stash leftovers for easy meals throughout the week – if you have any leftover!
Customize this hash to your tastes with different add-ins like corn, sausage, chickpeas and taco seasoning. Serve for breakfast, lunch or dinner along with sides like rice, greens, yogurt and fruit. However you make it, this flavor-packed turkey salsa hash delivers big taste with little effort. Dive into this crave-worthy one-skillet wonder tonight